The police have a duty to protect individuals and provide security. We put our faith in them to keep us safe and to treat us fairly. Unfortunately, that is not always the case and sometimes police overstep the mark, act oppressively, unfairly or negligently.
Hennah Haywood Law Solicitors has experience in the following areas:
- Unlawful arrest (also known as wrongful arrest).
- Unnecessary or unreasonable time spent in custody (also known as false imprisonment).
- Unreasonable force by the police (including assault and the use of CS spray and Taser guns).
Being arrested or detained by the police can be a very frightening experience. When this is done unlawfully or using unnecessary aggression it can be even more intimidating.
If you have been the victim of wrongful arrest or false imprisonment, we could help you claim compensation from the police.
We could help if you've been:
- Arrested without reasonable grounds
- Held in custody without explanation
- Assaulted by the police
The police have considerable power and this means we place a lot of trust in them to make the right decisions and act responsibly. They can only arrest someone if they have reasonable grounds to believe they have committed a crime. Examples of this might include:
- Reliable information about a person's involvement in criminal activity.
- Evidence that a person was at the place where a crime happened.
'Reasonable grounds' mean that if someone else was presented with the same information, they would also come to the same conclusions. At all times, the police should account for their actions so that you understand what is happening and what you are being detained for. When making an arrest, the police must:
- Identify themselves as the police.
- Tell you that you're being arrested.
- Tell you what crime they think you've committed.
Even someone suspected of a crime has a right to fair treatment, and it is very important that the police do not infringe on this right by using their power to intimidate or hurt someone. Standing up to an authority like the police can seem daunting, but we're here to help. Our solicitors have experience bringing claims against almost every major police force in the country and will work hard to get you the justice you deserve.